Monday, April 20, 2015

What I've Been Reading: January February March

Cooked by Michael Pollan
Fascinating. I am a huge Michael Pollan fan. Read this. Especially if you like food, and you don't mind being told that you should cook more. Also, after reading this my husband got the Tartine Cookbook mentioned and he's been making most delicious bread ever since. So I owe Michael Pollan big time.

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemna, The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart
(Those are three separate books). These are YA novels, a trilogy with a sort of prequel. I read the first book in the trilogy (The Mysterious Benedict Society) ages ago and finally remembered I wanted to read the rest. I couldn't put these down. They are fun, they are quirky, the characters are lovable, and Milligan is a boss. Recommend recommend recommend.

The Greenglass House by Kate Milford
Another YA read. I picked this one because when we went to Powell's at New Year's it was a recommended read for "if you liked The Mysterious Benedict Society". So naturally. I loved so much about this book, especially the setting. It is lovely and what my dreams are made of. However, I felt like the author took the easy way out for the ending, and it just wasn't believable for me. Still a fun read I would recommend, despite the ending.

Happier by Tal Ben-Sharar
This book was full of great info (it's originally a class at Harvard) but I have to say, I think I would have enjoyed it as a class more. His writing style just wasn't very engaging; he's probably a great presenter though. If you're interested in this subject and are okay with dry writing, go for it, but I would recommend any of Gretchen Rubin's books before this. Or maybe even just the Bible.

The Giver by Lois Lowry
I know the movie came out last year (never saw it) but I remember reading this in middle school and loooooooving it. Looooooooving it. Still loved it this time around. Lois Lowry is so good at telling you just enough. It felt very close to home this time because my baby boy is about the same age as the baby in the book and has a very similar name. So obviously I cried. Also, I remember when I read it in middle school I interpreted the ending opposite the way I interpret/know what she really meant now. I liked it both ways but apparently I am a more pessimistic adult.

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
So I know some people love books by this author, and the information was fascinating, but I felt like the main point was quite convoluted. Lots of his examples were contradictory and this is where I started to lose track of what he was trying to persuade me of. I know he explained how the contradictory examples fit into his main point but I'm still not exactly sure what that was so I don't think he explained them well enough. Interesting information about first impressions but I'm not exactly sure when and where I need to believe mine. I'll probably eventually read his other books but I think there are more compelling non-fiction writers out there I'd like to read first. Namely, Michael Pollan. Also Gretchen Rubin.

Food Rules by Michael Pollan
This was tiny. Does it count? Read it in ten minutes. Basically a recap of the food rules he follows, I believe from his book In Defense of Food (the one that converted me to his books). Good refresher and he has totally persuaded me.

The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
This is one of those books that everyone else has read or seen the movie except me. I can see why, it was so good. I've never read/thought/known anything at all about the relationship between the "colored help" and their white employers at this time period. I loved the characters. I loved how well Kathryn Stockett wrote their very distinct voices. After reading just a bit I was thinking my sentences the way "the help" did in the book. Things like, "I done put away that book already." I really appreciated the deconstruction of "lines" between humans, especially between women. If you haven't read this book, read it!

Just in case you were wondering, I am on track to read a book for each week of the year, and I am going to go for it. 52 books in 2015.

Also, a book recommendation link up from the Modern Mrs. Darcy blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment